monkeywrench radio playlist
january 31, 1998
what we thought:
okay, so we thought it was awesome. the only thing we could have done without was krist novoselic, but it wouldn't be pirate radio without the weird guy ranting to piss you off, so what? didn't you need a few minutes to go to the bathroom or get some pizza? =)
what else. less "ummmm..."'s from ed...he seemed far less nervous. things seemed a little more organized. and obviously, way obviously, ed misses soundgarden as much as some of us do. wish stone's dj segment had been longer. wish they'd like *mike* dj next time...jeff too, for that matter.
some people are apparently surprised/upset/whatever about the broadcast's political tones. well, it was called *MONKEYWRENCH* radio - that was the whole point! (and, again, "monkeywrench" being a political term for non-traditional methods for subverting the traditional political system. EarthFirst! is a monkeywrenching group, hence their logo, and hence ed's tattoo. just go to AltaVista and do a search on "monkeywrench" if you're curious...) anyway, i don't know why these people are so surprised. pj is very much a political band. you don't like it - change the station! at my house, i totally missed who the Free To Fight speaker was because of the political ranting going on in my living room. I think Ed would have liked that.
what would i have said if i'd gotten through on the phone? i would have apologized for having no voice & told ed i was at the stones the night before; i would have thanked him for the broadcast and asked him what color "HIV Baby" he has, and asked him where the $#@! Chris Cornell was.
- eddie and another 'invoking' chant, this time around "MW"....
- sonic youth - "teenage riot" (which they opened SPR with)
- the ramones - "rock and roll radio" (from End of the Century)
- stereolab - "noise of carpet" (which pj referenced quite a lot during the last tour)
- Do The Evolution
- Given To Fly ("once ed gets his shit together", jeff sez)
- Wish List
- Pailhead (Ian Mackaye, Al Jourgensen, Bill Rieflin) - "Don't Stand In Line (from "Trait") [Thanks, Ryan]
- Presidents of the USA - "Bath of Fire" (and eddie gives the location away, not even an hour into the broadcast)
- various soundbytes
- ani de franco - eddie didn't have the title, but the song is probably called "Fuel" (this is a guess cuz the album isnt' out yet, but i have a pre-order flier from her record company, so i'm guessing)
- highway star (deep purple cover)
- Wanna Fuck
- Chiva Knievel
- West Seattle Acid Party
- Easy Rider by Hendrix [thanx to ~Steve]
- (i'll get these titles when the broadcast is over)
- Sleater-Kinney - "Dig Me Out"
- The Who - soundbyte from "The Who Sell Out" (band before "Armenia City In The Sky"
- Eddie talks about pro-choice, and we have a phone call from Gloria Steinem, live!
- Corin Tucker from Sleater-Kinney talks about some music from the project Free to Fight [Thanks, Jordan - someone in the house was ranting while she was talking...]
- Sleater-Kinney - "Big Big Lights" (from Free To Fight Seven-Inch Series #1) [Thanks to Chris Nelson!]
- Mudhoney: (all new stuff!)
- Cover of "Editions of You" by Roxy Music
- Oblivion Into Infinity
- Real Low Vibe
- Have To Laugh [Thanks to Peter Trahms for these]
- Wellwater Conspiracy - "Sandy" (first single; WWC is John McBain, and Matt Cameron and Ben SHepherd from soundgarden, on SuperElectro) [Thanks to Dena white and Steve Russell for this, cuz i didn't recognize it]
- answering machine message from Matt Lukin (god this is funny)
- Steve Turner from Mudhoney and Ed rap about the history of seattle music and play a track from the Sonics (NOT the team, the band) - "He's Waiting"
- Kent 3 - "DJ New" (from "Peasant Music", soon to be released on Steve Turner's SuperElectro label)
- PJ again!:
- Brain of J
- In Hiding
- "HIV Baby" by Soundgarden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(what color is *your* vinyl, ed - black or purple!)
- Krist Novoselic blabs
- Beach Boys - "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
- More Krist Novoselic blab
- R.E.M.!!!!!!!! - Live For Today
- Saturday Night Church
- L'Espionnage de Pomme de Terre
- The Streets of New Delhi
- chris fucking CORNELL! - "sunshower"
- phone call from Mike Watt
- "Pedro Bound" - Watt
- I Don't Konw
- Not Too Late (Satchel)
- Hifi Killers - ?
- "You Sexy Thing" - Hot Chocolate
- "Luv 2 Luv You" - Timbaland & Magoo
- Missy Elliot - "Beep Me 911"
- YaYa's - Long Ways (?)
- no clue what this is...excerpts from Clinton's State of the Union address?
- eddie talks about the media & takes a phone call
- ...and we end the same way the first one did, Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World"
If you have song titles we don't have, please send 'em in; I'll go re-listen tomorrow and fill in some more details. I don't know how many stations dropped the broadcast, so if there's enough ppl who need it, we'll do as much as we can.....
Thanks to: nd, Andrea, Steve R., Dena, Seth, Jean, the ppl who wrote in with stuff we needed, and pj for doing this!!!
Copyright © 2004 Five Horizons